We’re looking for your short stories!
Join us for the sixth annual edition of the Los Angeles NaNo Anthology—a collection of stories edited by NaNoWriMo participants. Though we’re based in Los Angeles, we accept stories from writers around the world.
We’re currently accepting submissions for our 2019 anthology: Journeys to Uncharted Lands. Our theme is exploration and the unknown, and the prompt is that a character in each story must leave something behind. We’re open to broad interpretations of these ideas, so feel free to use your imagination. If you want to see what we’ve accepted in the past, check out our 2018 anthology: Shadowed Doorways.
Story submission guidelines:
- This year’s short stories must fit the theme of exploration and the unknown. At some point, a character in your story must leave something behind. (This does not have to be a key plot point.)
- Maximum length: 4000 words. Shorter is perfectly fine—make each word count!
- We’re looking for compelling characters who struggle to achieve their goals. All genres are fine, so long as the stories are fictional.
- Your story should be a stand-alone work, not a chapter from a NaNo novel etc.
- One entry per author. No previously published stories or simultaneous submissions.
- Proofread your story and have a friend read it before you submit. Grammar check using the Chicago Manual of Style or Grammar Girl.
- Please avoid excessive violence, profanity, etc.
- If you’re submitting as a younger writer (17 and under), please tell us your age in your email. If you don’t, you will be judged against the adults.
- We’ll confirm receipt of each submission and give you our decision by two weeks after the contest deadline.
- We don’t accept resubmissions for edits. If your story is selected, we will provide editing assistance.
- Please do NOT put your name or contact info in the manuscript itself—only put that information in the body of your email. We judge objectively, based on story quality.
- Your story must have a title. Please put it on the first page of your manuscript and in the body of your email. Please also use your title as your file name.
- Send only a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or plain-text attachment. Don’t copy and paste the text directly into the email.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman, double-spaced, with no extra spaces between paragraphs. Please don’t use headers or footers.
- Don’t make a title page or use unusual title fonts. Center your title on the top line and then go!
Deadline: Sunday, March 31. (We love early submissions as we have more time to read them!)
Submit to: LANaNoAnthology@gmail.com and put “2019 anthology submission” in the subject line.
We look forward to your submissions!